Substitutes for Meat Substitutes
A lot of people have the impression that eating vegan means that you have to spend an arm and a leg on Tofurky and Trader Joe’s special vegan whatever. This isn’t true, there are plenty of cheap and easy ways to make meat substitutes with cheap, whole food ingredients.
- Seitan, Tempeh, and Tofu - These are 3 meat substitutes that are very popular in vegan cooking. Seitan is the best for meat lovers gone veg. Tofu is good for making weird textures like scrambled eggs or ricotta cheese.
- Nuts and Seeds - Healthy and very common in raw food recipes, also really good for staying full while eating vegan.
- Beans and Legumes - Filling and full of fiber, beans and legumes are a great source of protein and are delicious.
- Portobello Mushroom (photo above) - Which produces helps your body produce its own antioxidants and helps with blood flow. Marinated mushrooms can be a great way to add some meaty flavor and a savory texture to your shroom.
- Combos - Adding the foods mentioned above with grains like barley, bulgur what, or quinoa are a great way to make food like veggie burgers or “meat”loaf