10 Snack Foods You Forgot Were Raw
Raw whole foods are the healthiest you can eat, but when you hear “raw diet” it’s hard not to think of salad. While a totally raw diet isn’t for everyone, eating more whole food than processed food is possible and healthy. One of the most tempting times to grab unhealthy food is snack time. Instead of going for the white cheddar popcorn, here is a list of 10 snack foods that are conveniently raw (or mostly raw).
- Bruschetta - Tomatoes, onions, basil, some garlic, sea salt, and if you use cold pressed olive oil are totally raw.
- Frozen Banana - Delicious dessert that is really similar to ice cream.
- Hummus - (recipe for raw hummus here) Chick peas, garlic, lemons, paprika.
- Salsa - Tomato, onion, green pepper, cilantro, sea salt, and lime juice.
- Fruit Salad- When something is as delicious as a combination of all your favorite fruits, and so common you can find it in most cafes or even Wawas, it’s easy to forget fruit salad is raw.
- Olive Plate - assortments of olives are a fancy treat, full of healthy fats.
- Guacamole - Avocados, onions, tomatoes, a little sea salt and lime juice.
- Pistachios (and other raw nuts)
- Granola - There are many different types of raw granola, perfect grab and go snack or, add almond milk and make it a meal.
- Smoothies - Yes!
While most of us aren’t willing to make an 100% raw commitment, incorporating raw foods in to our diet is one of the best ways to insure you’re eating healthy and we can do it with foods we already eat normally.
(NOTE: The recipes for all of items listed above have room for variation, if you want to be sure your snack is 100% raw, make it at home or be sure to ask the cook. Processed versions of these snacks can have added sugars and salts, be sure to read labels.)