Cheap and Simple Peanut Butter & Banana Breakfast Taco
Here’s a tasty and super Cheap Vegan breakfast idea that can make good use of the last slice.
The directions and ingredients are simple.
- 1 slice of (Ezekiel) bread
- (Natural) Peanut Butter
That’s it. Spread the peanut butter on the bread, put the banana in the middle, fold bread over banana. Grilling is optional, but highly recommended.
This only costs about 75 cents to make at most and takes about 1 minute to make.
I survived off of these sandwiches for a month when I was extra low on cash & living without a kitchen while interning in LA.
The banana only cost about 15 cents, a loaf of bread is $3-$4, and peanut butter is about $3. This is a very good Cheap Vegan survival food and will make as many sandwiches as you have slices. Plus, it’s easy to carry and eat while you walk.
Bananas help lower blood pressure due to their ultra high potassium levels, 2 Tbsp of peanut butter has 8 grams of protein, and if you eat Ezekiel bread there are added benefits.
Ezekiel bread is made of sprouted wheat. Allowing the wheat to begin the sprouting process unleashes enzymes. The bread is actually made of living sprouts making it more rich in nutrients. It’s easier to digest and only 60 - 80 calories depending on the type. Ezekiel bread has a very rich nutty flavor, I highly recommend trying it. (But be sure to check the frozen food isle, sometimes this bread is kept frozen in supermarkets.)
Here are a few ways to spice up this already awesome meal.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top - Even the smell of cinnamon is good for you! Catching whiffs of cinnamon stimulates brain function.
- Add: Raisins, thin cut apple slices, strawberries, or dark chocolate chips
- Put some granola on top of the peanut butter, gives you an added sweet crunch.
- Dip in Apple Sauce. I think this is the best tip, dipping this ‘taco’ in some apple sauce is 100% perfection.